- 1 Best Backpack Cooler Reviews
- 2 Advantages And Disadvantages Of Backpack Coolers
- 3 When Should You Use A Backpack Cooler?
- 4 Best Backpack Coolers Comparison Chart
- 5 Wrap Up
Backpack coolers have a simple, yet efficient design. Instead of using thick walls to create an insulation compartment, these coolers use an insulating lining for the same purpose. And while the insulating walls of the rotomolded coolers are more efficient, the thin lining will also maintain a cool temperature inside the insulation compartment for a good deal of time. But can the thin insulation lining keep the food and drinks stored in the compartment cold, no matter what?
Because these coolers don’t use an external power source, even the best backpack cooler will only keep the insulation compartment cool for as long as there is enough ice or cold freeze packs to do so.
However, unlike other cooler models, backpack coolers are highly portable and they can be used in multiple situations. They look exactly like regular backpacks, and they have dry storage compartments that can hold clothes, gadgets, and other items.
Thanks to their good storage capacity and pleasant appearance, backpack coolers represent a good solution for everyday occasions. Let’s take a look at some of the best models currently available on the market.
Best Backpack Cooler Reviews
- OAGear Backpack Cooler
- PRICE $
- Cold For : up to 8 hours
- Capacity: up to 20 cans
- Dimensions: 12.25 x 16.5 x 7.75"
- Coleman C003 Backpack Cooler
- PRICE $$
- Cold For : 6 - 8 hours
- Capacity: up to 28 cans
- Dimensions: 19.38 x 14.76 x 1.78"
- TOURIT Insulated Backpack Cooler
- PRICE $$$
- Cold For : 16 hours
- Capacity: up to 28 cans
- Dimensions: 17.7" x 13.0" x 7.5"
- MIER Backpack Cooler
- PRICE $$
- Cold For : up to 10 hours
- Capacity: up to 24 cans
- Dimensions: 10.7 x 7 x 11.8"
- North Coyote Backpack Cooler
- PRICE $$$
- Cold For : up to 10 hours
- Capacity: 17 L or 19 cans
- Dimensions: 20 x 7.3 x 30"
- ONIVA Insulated Backpack Cooler
- PRICE $$$$
- Cold For : about 12 hours
- Capacity: up to 6 can
- Dimensions: 19 x 16 x 5"
1. OAGear Backpack CoolerWe’re going to start off this list by introducing one of the cheapest options currently available on the market. The OAGear backpack cooler might not have the bells and whistles offered by other models, but this model can do exactly what you’re buying it for. It can keep anything you put in it at a cool temperature.
This backpack cooler comes in six different colors, so you can choose one that matches your trekking outfit or simply one you consider visually attractive. The backpack offers a good holding capacity, and you should be able to fit up to 20 cans in it, besides the ice that keeps them cool for up to 8 hours, depending on the ambient temperature. The no-leak liner protects the backpack against spills and leaks, and the mesh side pockets offer you the possibility to keep several items close at hand.
Besides the obvious advantage of being cheap, this model is also a public-favorite because it’s really comfortable. The straps are padded, and their length is adjustable. And the backpack is lightweight, so it won’t add to the weight you have to carry.
Overall, this is a high-value model, especially if you factor in the price.
2. Coleman C003 Backpack CoolerThe Coleman C003 is a comfortable backpack cooler you can carry for a long time without hurting your shoulders or your waist. The backpack comes with padded straps and back that provide much-needed comfort and support when carrying a heavy load.
As far as the backpack’s storage capacity is concerned, this model can hold up to 28 cans and some ice to keep them cool. The cooling compartment has an insulation lining that will prevent the melted ice from spilling from the backpack. The front compartment can be used for dry storage, and the bungee cord on the compartment will allow you to keep several things close at hand. We found that the dry storage compartment is large enough to accommodate a tablet or a large smartphone comfortably.
One of the advantages of using this model is that the insulation lining it comes with is also antimicrobial and mold and mildew-resistant. This is an advantage because it will allow you to clean the backpack between uses without any problems, lowering the unit’s maintenance.
Another good thing about this product is that it’s really comfortable to carry for a long time. This makes the backpack suitable for those who like to trek, allowing them to store drinks and snacks for the road. The dry and cold compartments are large enough to fit a lunch for four people, including their drinks.
3. TOURIT Insulated Backpack CoolerThe TOURIT insulated backpack comes in 4 color varieties which will allow you to choose one that will match your preferences. This backpack has a carrying capacity of 28 cans, and it can hold your lunch and snacks at a cool temperature for hours at a time.
One of the main advantages of using this product is that it’s lightweight and comfortable. For one, this will prevent the backpack to add to the weight you have to carry when you’re trekking, which will allow you to fill it up with supplies. The backpack’s padded shoulder straps and midsection improve the unit’s comfort, allowing you to carry it with ease over long distances.
The backpack’s main storage compartment is insulated and leak-proof, so the melted ice won’t spill when you’re walking. The side mesh pockets offer the possibility of holding some items close at hand, while the dry storage compartment offers an more space for your belongings.
Thanks to the backpack’s large storage capacity, you will be able to carry your whole family’s lunch without any problems. You can fit up to 3 20 oz water bottles next to the food you pack.
4. MIER Backpack CoolerThe MIER backpack cooler is a good all-around model that comes at a decent price. This unit comes with a top-open design that will hold up to 24 cans in its insulated compartment, which should be sufficient to store plenty of supplies and keep them at a cool temperature.
One of the advantages of using this model is that it has a very user-friendly design. The insulated compartment is large and easy to access. Besides the cooler compartment, this backpack comes with two other zippered dry-storage compartments that will extend the unit’s storage capacity. The side mesh pockets are useful and easy to use, allowing you to store something you need close at hand.
Another advantage of using this model is that it’s very comfortable to carry. The shoulder straps, the midsection, and the top handle are padded, so you will be able to carry heavy loads while using this model.
The top-open design will ensure that the water created by the melted ice won’t reach the zippers, so you won’t have any problems with leaks or spillage when using this model. Thanks to its design, you will be able to pack some wine bottles and keep them upright while you carry the backpack.
5. North Coyote Backpack CoolerThe North Coyote backpack cooler is a stylish model that offers plenty of storage space. This is the largest unit we included in our list, and it offers up to 42 liters of storage, 17 of those being insulated.
One of the main advantages of this model is that it’s very versatile. Unlike the other backpacks we reviewed so far that only had a large compartment and one or two smaller ones, this model offers 6 pockets besides the insulated one. This will allow you to compartmentalize your supplies as you see fit, and it also allows you to store your valuables in the interior zippered pocket, offering a much-needed protection when you travel.
As far as the cooling compartment is concerned, its total capacity is of 17 L or 19 cans, which is more than plenty. The lining is leak-proof and odor-resistant, so you won’t have any problems cleaning it between uses. The insulated compartment has a top-open design, so the chances of leaks seeping through the zipper lines are small to none.
We liked that the backpack’s dry storage capacity is also large, of up to 25 Liters or 28 cans. Not only will this allow you to store plenty of food or supplies, but it will also offer you the possibility to store some clothing articles separated from the food items.
6. ONIVA Insulated Backpack CoolerThe ONIVA insulated backpack cooler is a nice and compact model that offers a surprisingly large storing capacity. This unit comes with not one, but two insulated storage compartments that will hold your food and drinks cold throughout the day.
A great thing about this model is that it has a clever design. There are two insulated storage compartments you can use to store your food and drinks instead of a single large unit. This is an advantage because it will allow you to store different items in separate compartments if you want to. One of the compartments can hold less ice, for the items you’re planning on consuming early in the day, and the other can hold more ice so it will maintain a cool temperature for a longer time.
Besides having two insulated compartments, this backpack also has a compartmentalized dry storage zippered pocket you can use to store your valuables. The side mesh pockets are useful when you want to store something that’s easily accessible. This backpack also comes with an insulated water bottle compartment that holds a 40oz bottle or water thermos comfortably.
Despite its large storage capacity, this model has a compact design that will allow you to use it for everyday purposes, such as going to and from work or going to the gym. However, loading the backpack at its maximum capacity can make it heavy, so it won’t be too comfortable to carry.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Backpack Coolers
As you could see from our short reviews, backpack coolers can offer many advantages. Unfortunately, backpack coolers are not suitable for every occasion, so they also have some disadvantages.
- Easy To Transport – The main advantage of using a backpack cooler is that you can transport it with ease. You don’t have to worry about it being too heavy to carry comfortably in your arms because its weight will be evenly distributed across your shoulders and back, making it easier to move.
- Versatile – Unlike other cooler models, backpack coolers are more versatile. They offer a large insulated compartment and at least one dry storage compartment. Not only will this allow you to carry both refrigerated and unrefrigerated food items, but it will also allow you to carry clothing items, gadgets, and other objects.
- Low Maintenance – Backpack coolers have low maintenance. The insulated compartment is leak-proof and more often than not bacteria and fungal-resistant, so you can wash it with water and detergent. The outer layer is often made out of nylon and you can wash it or brush it off when necessary.
- Collapsible – Unlike other cooler models that are bulky and difficult to store, most backpack coolers are foldable or collapsible, so you can easily find a storage place for them. Using a collapsible unit will also be an advantage when you want to travel because it will allow you to store the backpack in a simple suitcase when you’re not using it.
- Comfortable – Most coolers are uncomfortable to carry because they have hard plastic handles. The handles are uncomfortable to hold, and they can really hurt the palm of your hands when you load the cooler with drinks and food. Backpack coolers come with padded straps and handles, so they’re more comfortable to carry.
- Secure – Backpack coolers use zippers or Velcro to secure your belongings when you travel. This will be an advantage, especially if you travel in foreign new places.
- Aesthetically Pleasing – A major advantage of using a backpack cooler is that they look nice. Coolers are usually bulky and ugly, so most people avoid carrying them when they travel or when they’re trekking. However, cooler backpacks look exactly like regular backpacks, so you won’t have any problems carrying them wherever you go.
- Limited Storage Capacity – Even though some models like the ONIVA Insulated Backpack Cooler offer a great storage capacity, the storage capacity of backpack coolers doesn’t come near the one offered by rotomolded coolers or metal coolers. Since the backpack coolers are designed to be portable, most manufacturers limit their storage capacity so they won’t be too heavy to carry comfortably.
- Limited Cooling Period – Unlike electric coolers that use electricity to maintain a constant temperature inside the cooling compartment, backpack coolers rely on their insulation proprieties to keep the insulation compartment cool throughout the day. You have to put some ice or freeze packs inside the insulation compartment at the start of the day, and then lock the insulation pocket. This will maintain the temperature at a cool level as long as the ice or freeze packs are cold. Depending on the ambient temperature and the quality of the insulation lining, the backpack coolers can be effective for as long as 10 hours and as little as a single one.
When Should You Use A Backpack Cooler?
Backpack coolers are comfortable and easy to transport, so they’re suitable for multiple occasions and purposes.
- Camping – Camping has many benefits, but one of the problems people going camping often experience is that they leave their main cooler, usually a rotomolded or a soft-sided cooler at their campsite and they don’t bring anything along for their daily expeditions. This can be a disadvantage, especially since most people enjoy camping during the warm season. A backpack cooler can be the perfect solution for that. You can store most of your supplies in the large cooler you leave behind at the campsite and fill the backpack cooler with drinks, sandwiches, and snacks for your expedition.
- Picnics – You don’t have to carry a large cooler if you want to keep food fresh while on a picnic, especially if you’re not going in a large group. A backpack cooler offers enough storage space for a family of four, and it’s way more comfortable to carry. You could say that the backpack cooler is the modern equivalent of a picnic basket.
- Sunbathing/Going To The Beach – There’s nothing worse than drinking out of a lukewarm bottle of water when you’re going to the beach or you’re sunbathing. Wait, we take that back. There is something worse than drinking lukewarm water. It’s drinking lukewarm beer or soft drinks. A backpack cooler can be the perfect solution for this problem. You pack some ice to keep your water, soft drinks, and beer cool throughout the day, put a bathing suit and a towel in the dry storage compartment and you’re all set. You can just relax and enjoy the sun.
- Travel – Traveling is one of the best things you can do to broaden your horizons. But it’s impossible to visit remote locations and have cold beverages close at hand if you don’t carry your own cooler. And a backpack cooler is perfect for people who travel because it can keep food fresh on long trips. The insulated compartment can provide ample space for food and drinks, and the other pockets can hold your maps and souvenirs. Some models like the North Coyote Backpack Cooler come with a zippered inner pocket that will protect your valuables.
- Trekking – Trekking is great because it can boost your physical and mental health at the same time. But many people associate trekking with the discomfort of being dehydrated or tired. While using a backpack cooler can do nothing to improve your fitness levels so you won’t feel tired, at least it can hold your water bottles at a cool temperature so you can hydrate properly.
Best Backpack Coolers Comparison Chart
|OAGear Backpack Cooler||$||up to 8 hours||up to 20 cans||12.25 x 16.5 x 7.75"|
|Coleman C003 Backpack Cooler||$$||6 - 8 hours||up to 28 cans||19.38 x 14.76 x 1.78"|
|TOURIT Insulated Backpack Cooler||$$$||16 hours||up to 28 cans||17.7" x 13.0" x 7.5"|
|MIER Backpack Cooler||$$||up to 10 hours||up to 24 cans||10.7 x 7 x 11.8"|
|North Coyote Backpack Cooler||$$$||up to 10 hours||17 L or 19 cans||20 x 7.3 x 30"|
|ONIVA Insulated Backpack Cooler||$$$$||about 12 hours||up to 6 cans||19 x 16 x 5"|
As you could see from our backpack cooler reviews, they are not as efficient as other cooler models, but their versatility and portability make up for whatever they lose in efficiency.
Finding the best backpack cooler is only a matter of preference. You should take into account the cooler’s capacity, its compartmentalization, its design, and also its appearance. Of course, you should also factor in the backpack’s price and search for the unit that seems better suited for your needs.
Keep in mind that you can use a backpack cooler to store and carry other items besides food and drinks, which makes them more versatile than other cooler models. If you don’t think that this type of coolers isn’t really right for you, there are a lot of other types you can choose from. You will surely find the best cooler in no time whatsoever.