- 1 Rotomolded Cooler Reviews
- 2 Advantages And Disadvantages Of Using A Rotomolded Cooler
- 3 When Can Rotomolded Coolers Be Helpful?
- 4 Best Rotomolded Coolers Comparison Chart
- 5 Wrap Up
Rotomolded coolers are perfect for people who want to pack enough food and drinks to last several days. Not only are these units large enough to hold a lot of food and drinks, but they’re also effective enough to keep them at a cool temperature until you consume them. But did you know that rotomolded coolers can keep ice from melting for up to two weeks?
Even though these are some of the most expensive cooler models developed, rotomolded coolers are also some of the best. They offer a very long cooling period and they’re extremely durable. In fact, some of them are so durable, they’re actually bear-proof.
Without further ado, let’s take a look at the best rotomolded coolers available on the market today.
Rotomolded Cooler Reviews
- Driftsun Heavy Duty Cooler
- PRICE $$$$
- Ice Retention: 7-10 Days
- Capacity: 75 Quart
- Dimensions: 33.5 x 18.5 x 18"
- Weight : 32 Lbs.
- Frosty Coolers Extreme Durability Cooler
- PRICE $$$
- Ice Retention: up to 10 Days
- Capacity: 75 Quart
- Dimensions: 28" x 19" x 19"
- Weight : 75 pounds
- Thermik High-Performance Cooler
- PRICE $$$
- Ice Retention: 5+ days
- Capacity: 45 Quart
- Dimensions: 26.1 x 17.4 x 17"
- Weight : 29.9 pounds
- Vibe Element Heavy Duty Cooler
- PRICE $$
- Ice Retention: 5+ days
- Capacity: 45 Quart
- Dimensions: 26.7 x 16.6 x 16.3"
- Weight : 23 pounds
- YETI Tundra
- PRICE $$$$$
- Ice Retention: up to 2 weeks
- Capacity: 45 Quart
- Dimensions: 23 x 19 x 17"
- Weight : 27 pounds
- Grizzly Coolers Rotomolded Cooler
- PRICE $
- Ice Retention: up to 4 days
- Capacity: 15 Quart
- Dimensions: 14.2 x 11.5 x 19"
- Weight : 11.25 pounds
1. Driftsun Heavy Duty Cooler
The Driftsun heavy-duty rotomolded cooler is a very effective model that offers a large storage capacity and some helpful features. Like all rotomolded coolers, this model is built to last, and it’s very strong and durable.
We especially liked that this model has a well-thought design. Its feet are made out of a non-slip material that will prevent the cooler from slipping even if you leave it on a shiny surface. The bottle openers are reliable and heavy-duty, and you can use them frequently without worrying about breaking them. The drain plug makes emptying the cooler a smooth and quick job, and the unit’s handles are highly resistant.
As far as the cooler’s storage capacity and efficiency are concerned, this is one of the best models currently available on the market. The cooler uses a 3-inch commercial grade insulation, and it will maintain a cool temperature for a long time. We can’t really say how long the cooler will maintain a temperature low enough to keep the ice from freezing because that highly depends on how often you open the cooler’s lid, but it will definitely keep it for at least two or three days. Some customers claim this cooler kept their drinks cold for up to two weeks.
Highlight: Even though the cooler offers a large storage capacity, it’s fairly lightweight and easy to carry when it’s empty.
2. Frosty Coolers Extreme Durability CoolerThe rotomolded cooler developed by Frosty Coolers is a highly efficient model that comes at a decent price, as far as this type of coolers is concerned. This unit is well constructed, and it will keep your food and drinks cold for a very long period of time.
One of the things we liked about this model is that it’s equipped with sturdy wheels and a durable handle that will allow you to pull it when it’s loaded. This is a great way to transport the cooler, especially since it can get really heavy once you fill it up to its maximum capacity.
Another thing we liked about this model is the heavy-duty bottle openers. Unlike other coolers, this model comes with durable steel bottle openers that are screwed into its corner, not attached with a flimsy glue.
This cooler is compatible with dry ice, and it will maintain a cool temperature for a long time. Depending on how often you open the lid, how much ice, freeze packs, or dry ice you use, the cooler can keep your food and drinks cold for up to 10 days.
Highlight: Thanks to its low price and its high storage capacity, this model offers a great value for your investment.
3. Thermik High-Performance CoolerThe Thermik rotomolded cooler is a good model that comes with some very helpful features. This model is smaller than the other models we presented so far, but it’s highly effective and it will keep your food and drinks cold for a very long time.
We liked that this model comes with a lot of different accessories, including a cutting board separator, a drink holder, and a dry basket. The cutting board can also act as a divider in the insulation compartment, allowing you to arrange your food and drinks as you see fit.
The cooler also comes with a drain plug that will allow you to bleed the water out of the insulation compartment after you use it, and a vacuum release button that will prevent the lid from getting stuck. This model comes with large rubber feet that will prevent it from slipping when you place it on an uneven or shiny surface.
As far as the cooler’s insulation is concerned, this model does not fare as well as other models, but it also comes at a cheaper price. Even so, the cooler will maintain a low temperature in the insulation compartment for about 3 – 4 days, which is enough for most people.
Highlight: This cooler comes with a 5-year manufacturer warranty
4. Vibe Element Heavy Duty CoolerThe Vibe Element rotomolded cooler is one of the cheapest models in its category. This unit has a 45-quart storage capacity, and it offers an interesting mix of features and functions.
We were impressed with the cooler’s design. Unlike other coolers, this model seems to be designed with fishers, campers, and hunters in mind. The cooler comes with built-in steel bottle openers and it even incorporates a fish ruler that will allow you to measure your catches before storing them in the insulated chamber. This model’s rubber feet will prevent the cooler from moving around if you decide to place it in a boat, so you can use it reliably when fishing.
As far as the cooler’s storage and cooling capacity are concerned, this is a very effective model, despite its low price. The 45-quart storage capacity will allow you to pack enough food and drinks for a long hunting and fishing trip. The cooler will also maintain a low temperature in the insulated compartment to last for several days. Some customers claim that the cooler kept their drinks cold for 5 days or more. Of course, this depends on how often you open the cooler, the ambient temperature, and more.
Highlight: Thanks to its low price and a good mix of features, this model will provide a good value for your investment.
5. YETI TundraThe Yeti Tundra is one of the most popular rotomolded cooler models, despite the fact that it’s also one of the most expensive ones. If you’re wondering what convinced so many people to choose this model over others, the answer is high-quality.
The Tundra is easily one of the best models currently available. Thanks to the 3-inch insulation wall, this unit is capable of keeping the ice from melting for up to two weeks, depending on how often you open the lid and the ambient temperature.
We were impressed with the Tundra’s effectiveness. Not only will this unit keep your food and drinks cool, but it will also actually keep them cold. If you respect the manufacturer’s instructions and pack the ice and the food at a 2:1 ratio, there will be enough ice in the cooling compartment to keep the food at a cold temperature after a week of continuous use. This is not a small feat.
Another thing we liked was the fact that the cooler comes with a dry goods basket. This will allow you to store food inside the cooling compartment without it actually touching the ice or the water.
Highlight: The YETI Tundra offers a good mix of helpful features, and it will keep your food and drinks cold for up to two weeks’ time.
6. Grizzly Coolers Rotomolded CoolerThe rotomolded cooler produced by Grizzly Coolers is the smallest model we included on our list. Unlike the previous models, this unit only offers a 15-quart storage capacity, so it’s rather small compared to the models we reviewed so far. But that’s not a disadvantage.
On the contrary, this can be very helpful if you’re not planning on being away for a long period of time and you don’t need to carry a 40 or 50 lbs cooler wherever you go.
This unit is small enough to be comfortable to carry but large enough to allow you to pack meals and drinks that should last you a couple of days. The included shoulder strap will help you carry the cooler when it’s full. The shoulder strap is padded, and it will spread the load nicely.
As far as this model’s cooling capacity is concerned, this unit is not as effective as other models, but it will still keep your food and drinks cold for up to 4 days, depending on the ambient temperature and how often you open its lid.
Highlight: This model is compact and easy to transport, making it the perfect choice for a short hunting or fishing trip.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Using A Rotomolded Cooler
As you could see in our short reviews, rotomolded coolers offer multiple advantages. But are they so good that they don’t have any disadvantages at all? Let’s take a quick look.
- Very Durable – Rotomolded coolers are made out of a single piece of material that’s molded into shape. This means they don’t have seams, zippers, or linings that can tear or get shredded. Moreover, these models are made out of highly durable materials, so they’re resilient to anything you throw at them. Sure, they might not be as strong as the metal coolers, but they’re still very durable.
- Can Double As Chairs – No, this is not a joke. You can actually use a rotomolded cooler as a chair, as long as it’s large enough to support your weight. This can be a very helpful feature for people who enjoy fishing or hunting but don’t want to carry a lot of gear with them.
- Very Long Cooling Period – Rotomolded coolers offer extremely long cooling periods. Sure, you might use an electric cooler to keep your food and drinks cool for a longer period of time, but that’s just because it relies on an external power source to maintain the cool temperatures. For a cooler that relies only on ice or freezer packs to keep your food cold, there is no better model. Coolers like the YETI Tundra can keep your drinks and food cold for up to two weeks.
- Very Good Storage Capacity – Thanks to their design and resilience, the rotomolded coolers can offer a very large storage capacity. Not only will these models keep your food and drinks cold for a very long time, but they can also store enough food for that amount of time.
- Stable – Rotomolded coolers use rubber feet to maintain their stability and to avoid slippage, even when you place them on an uneven surface. This will make the coolers more versatile, and it will allow you to take them with you on boats without worrying they will tip over.
- Secure – These coolers are usually secured using high-quality latches that will keep the lid firmly in place. Not only will ensure that air won’t reach the insulated chamber, but it will also make the coolers secure from unwanted attention. Most models are secure enough to leave unattended near children, and some models are so strong, they’re even bear-proof. You can even increase their security with padlocks.
- Easy To Empty – Unlike soft-sided or inflatable coolers you have to empty by tipping them over, most rotomolded coolers come with a drain plug that will allow you to bleed the water out of the cooling compartment.
- Can Be Heavy – Rotomolded coolers can be slightly heavy. Some models can weigh up 15 or 20 lbs on their own. And when you fill them up with ice, food, and drinks, the coolers can become too heavy to carry comfortably. Luckily, some models come with wheels, so you can pull them along instead of lifting them.
- Costly – Even though rotomolded coolers are some of the best models available on the market, they come at a price. However, at least you know that once you pay that price, you will be able to use the coolers for years to come, not months like other cooler models.
- Bulky – Unlike the collapsible coolers that are specially designed to save storage space, rotomolded models are large and bulky. Whether you want to take them on a boat or store them in a closet, they will take up a lot of space.
When Can Rotomolded Coolers Be Helpful?
Thanks to their durability and cooling capacity, rotomolded coolers can be helpful in a lot of different scenarios. Let’s take a quick look at some of them.
- Fishing – Rotomolded coolers are the perfect models for fishing trips. One of the problems fishers often face is storing their freshly caught fish until they go home. Well, these coolers will help you store the fish properly, and some models like the Vibe Element Heavy-Duty Cooler come with a ruling tape that will allow you to measure your catches before storing them. Moreover, you will be able to sit on these coolers, as well as to place them in your boat without worrying about them slipping as the boat moves with the waves.
- Emergency Situations – Using rotomolded coolers in emergency situations can help you preserve your food for a long period of time. Using a high-quality cooler is one of the best 5 ways to keep food cold during an emergency.
- Traveling – Traveling gives you the opportunity to try new things, and explore new sights. Using a rotomolded cooler while you travel will allow you to pack food for the whole family
- Large Picnics – Rotomolded coolers are great for picnics, especially if there are a lot of people coming attending. These units are large, and they will hold a lot of ice and drinks for you and your friends.
Best Rotomolded Coolers Comparison Chart
|Driftsun Heavy Duty Cooler||$$$$||7-10 Days||75 Quart||33.5 x 18.5 x 18"||32 Lbs.|
|Frosty Coolers Extreme Durability Cooler||$$$||up to 10 Days||75 Quart||28" x 19" x 19"||75 pounds|
|Thermik High-Performance Cooler||$$$||5+ days||45 Quart||26.1 x 17.4 x 17"||29.9 pounds|
|Vibe Element Heavy Duty Cooler||$$||5+ days||45 Quart||26.7 x 16.6 x 16.3"||23 pounds|
|YETI Tundra||$$$$$||up to 2 weeks||45 Quart||23 x 19 x 17"||27 pounds|
|Grizzly Coolers Rotomolded Cooler||$||up to 4 days||15 Quart||14.2 x 11.5 x 19"||11.25 pounds|
Rotomolded coolers are expensive, but they’re effective as well. When you buy such a model, you’re actually making an investment in your future. These units can last for years if you treat them right, and they have low maintenance.
The best rotomolded coolers might be pricey, but they’re also capable of keeping your food and drinks cold for up to 2 weeks, and they offer a mix of helpful features and functions that will be helpful in the long run.
If you believe that the rotomolded coolers are too costly or that such a model is not the one for your needs, you can check out the rest of our articles to find the right one.