Engel and YETI are renowned cooler manufacturers that produce some of the most popular models available on the market today. Despite their popularity, there are plenty of differences between the coolers produced by these companies. Not only do their coolers have different designs, but their performances and prices are also independent to one another.
In the following article, we examine the performances of three of the most popular models produced by both these manufacturers and compare them to one another. For each match, we selected two similar models, each developed by a different company.
Which would be the winner in the Engel VS YETI coolers match?
Further, in the article, we take a look at what makes these companies stand out in today’s market and reveal their strengths and weakness. Let the best one win
Engel VS YETI Coolers
- Engel ENG80
- Price : $$$
- Made : Roto-molded SingleForm HardShell construction
- Capacity : 80 quarts
- Holds ice : up to 10 days
- Dimensions : 28.5" x 11.5" x 12.75"
- Weight : 38 pounds
- YETI Tundra 75
- Price : $$$$
- Made : Rotomolded Construction
- Capacity : up to 50 drink cans
- Holds ice : up to 10 days
- Dimensions : 18 x 33 x 18"
- Weight : 42 pounds
1. Engel ENG80 VS YETI Tundra 75
We’re going to start off this list by comparing some of the largest coolers produced by these two manufacturers. Let’s see which of these models is the better large capacity cooler.
OverviewThe Engel ENG80 is a large capacity cooler that comes at a good price. This model has a storage capacity of 80 quarts, and it can hold up to 60 beers plus the ice they need to stay cold for a long time.
We were impressed by the cooler’s effectiveness. This model is advertised as being capable of maintaining a cold temperature in the insulated compartment for up to 10 days. The cooler can surely keep your drinks cold for up to 7 days, and we wouldn’t be surprised if this model could really maintain a low temperature for 10 days straight if you pack enough ice.
Another good thing about this model is that it comes with high-quality hinges. The hinges will keep the cooler’s lid upright when you open it, allowing you to rummage through your provisions using both your hands. The four tie-down points are also helpful, and they will give you the possibility to tie down the unit if you use it as a marine cooler
One of the things we appreciated about this model is that it comes with a no-nonsense design. This cooler has a sturdy build and it will support your weight with no complains if you want to use it as an improvised chair. This model comes with thickly insulated walls that will prevent the cold air from exiting the cooling compartment. The cooler uses high-quality T-shaped latches that will make sure the lid closes snugly on the cooler after you use it, and it comes with molded-in padlock holes that give you the possibility to secure the cooler even further.
As for its cooling capacity, this model is advertised as being able to maintain a low temperature for up to 10 days, and we based on its clients’ affirmations, we don’t doubt this statement.
- Cooling Capacity – Both of these models are advertised as being able to keep your food fresh and your drinks cold for up to 10 days. As far as we can tell, both models can succeed if you pack enough ice and keep them out of the sun. However, the length of the cooling period depends on the ambient temperature, how often you open the cooler, and so forth.
- Storage Capacity – Neither of these models can actually hold the storage capacity mentioned in their names. The ENG80 actually has a storage capacity of 75 quarts, and the Tundra 75 can actually hold about 72 quarts. Even though the Engel cooler has a superior storage capacity, the difference is rather insignificant for large coolers such as these.
- Security – Now we come to the first real difference between the two. YETI is renowned for the quality of their latches. Even though many people consider that the latches’ design could be improved, there’s no doubt that the latches are secure. On the other hand, the latches on the ENG80 seem to be one of the cooler’s weak spots. Some customers actually had the surprise to find a broken latch after only one or two uses.
Thanks to its superior latches and security, the YETI Tundra 75 is the winner of this bout.
2. Engel HD30 VS YETI Hopper TWO
- Engel HD30
- Price : $$
- Made : Rugged TPU construction
- Capacity : up to 24 drink cans
- Holds ice : up to 4 days
- Dimensions : 20 x 16 x 10"
- Weight : 5.25 pounds
- YETI Hopper TWO
- Price : $$$
- Made : FDA approved food-grade material.
- Capacity : up to 24 cans
- Holds ice : 3 Days
- Dimensions : 25 x 12 x 18"
- Weight : 5.5 pounds
We continue our list by comparing the soft-sided cooler models produced by these manufacturers
OverviewEven though this model has a compact design, you shouldn’t let appearances fool you. The Engel HD30 is a large personal cooler, and it’s spacious enough to accommodate up to 24 drink cans alongside 10 lbs of ice to keep them cool.
We were impressed by the HD30’s well-thought design. This unit is highly portable, and its shape and size make it a good beach cooler. This model comes with a heavy-duty zipper that prevents the warm air from entering the cooling compartment, and a vacuum valve that will remove all the excess air from the inner insulation, increasing the cooler’s performance.
Another good thing about this model is that it offers multiple choices when it comes to carrying it. You can either use the padded shoulder strap, the side handles, or the top handles to carry this unit.
As for effectiveness, this model can keep your food fresh for up to 4 days or maybe even more if you pack it correctly.
One of the best things about the Hopper TWO is that it can keep your drinks cold for three days or more if you respect the manufacturer’s instructions and pack 2 lbs of ice for every pound of perishable products.
Another advantage of using this model is that it’s really comfortable to use. The Hopper TWO has an improved design that allows a better access to your belongings, by having the zippered opening slightly larger.
As far as the cooler’s storage capacity is concerned, this model will accommodate up to 24 cans of drinks along with enough ice to keep them cool for the next three days. The cooler’s exterior is waterproof and pleasant to the touch, so you can carry this cooler bag everywhere you go.
- Storage Capacity – Both coolers can hold up to 24 cans and 10 pounds of ice to keep them cool, so they have similar storage capacity. Even though this is a good capacity, neither of these models offer a dry storage pocket, so you will need to use another bag to store your accessories and gadgets.
- Cooling Capacity – This might come as a surprise, but the HD30 will actually keep your drinks cold for longer than the Hopper TWO. Thanks to its vacuum valve, the Engel offers better performance, and it will outlast the YETI by up to a whole day.
- Accessibility – The Engel HD30 might be the more effective cooler, but the Hopper TWO has the superior design. Thanks to the zipper’s improvement and its large opening, this model will grant you better access to your provisions.
This is a tough decision because the Hopper has the better design while the HD30 is the more effective model. However, the main reason people buy coolers in the first place is to keep their food fresh and their drinks cold, so we’re going to call the HD30 the winner of this round.
3. Engel 13 Quart VS YETI Hopper Flip 12
- Engel 13 Quart
- Price : $
- Made : Polypropylene
- Capacity : 12 cans
- Holds ice : up to 10 hours
- Dimensions : 15 x 10 x 11"
- Weight : 5 pounds
- YETI Hopper Flip 12
- Price : $$$
- Made : ColdCell Insulation, a closed-cell foam
- Capacity : up to 12 cans
- Holds ice : up to two days
- Dimensions : 12.6 x 10 x 11.5"
- Weight : 3.5 pounds
The Engel 13-quart cooler is a good model that has a simple yet effective design. This unit is large enough to hold up to 12 drinks cans, but thanks to its design you can also use it as a live bait storage unit.We liked that the Engel has a no-nonsense construction. The insulated compartment is spacious enough to hold one or two meals and several drinks, the lid closes securely, and the cooler’s latches produce a positive click when you seal them. Moreover, this cooler comes with a plastic tray you can use to store small accessories away from the ice, which is always a good addition.
As far as the cooler’s effectiveness is concerned, this model will keep your drinks cold for about a day, but you will find it difficult to extend its cooling period beyond this point without adding new ice.
Honestly, a lot of the YETI’s features were impressive. First of all, the cooler comes with a very comfortable padded shoulder strap that will make carrying it easy even when it’s full. Second, this model is very effective for a cooler of its size. If you pack the cooler according to the manufacturer’s instructions, it can keep your drinks cold for up to two days.
The cooler’s interior lining is leak-proof which not only makes this model easier to use but also makes it easier to clean.
- Storage Capacity – Both coolers offer the same insulated storage capacity of 12 cans plus ice. The Engel comes with a small tray you can use for dry storage, whereas the Hopper Flip comes with MOLLE-compatible attachments on its front.
- Cooling Capacity – When it comes to the cooling capacity, the YETI is the clear winner. This model can outlast the Engel by up to a whole day, which is an enormous margin for a cooler in their category. However, the Engel is capable of keeping your drinks cold for up to a day, which is not a small feat.
- Portability – As far as the portability is concerned, both models can be transported with ease. However, thanks to the multiple handles and padded shoulder strap, the YETI is more comfortable to use.
Thanks to its superior portability and cooling capacity, the YETI Hopper Flip is the winner of this match.
Engel VS YETI. Strengths And Weaknesses
Engel and YETI are renowned cooler manufacturers that develop some of the most popular models available on the market today. But what are the strengths and weaknesses of these companies?
1. Engel Strengths
- Cheap Alternative – Engel coolers are relatively inexpensive considering their storage and cooling capacities, so they’re great for multiple purposes, including storing freshly caught fish or storing game meat.
- Strong Construction – Engel coolers benefit from a strong construction. The small models are sturdy and durable, and the larger models are strong enough to support your weight without any complaints
- No-Nonsense Designs – Engel coolers might not have the bells and whistles of their competitors, but that can sometimes be an advantage. These coolers do what they’re supposed to without involving complicated features.
- Vacuum Valve – Engel’s soft-sided coolers come with a vacuum valve that will remove the air in the interior lining. This feature is very helpful, and it will improve the cooler’s effectiveness.
2. Engel Weaknesses
- Somewhat Heavy – Even though Engel coolers are sturdy, they’re also somewhat heavy. Most of these coolers are heavier than their competitors, sometimes by a large margin.
- Flimsy Latches – Engel coolers are usually durable, but their latches seem to be a weak spot. Multiple customers complained that the cooler’s latches were the only downside of using these models. Even if the latches don’t break down, they tend to become noisier as you use the cooler.
- Top Handle Could Be Improved – The cooler’s top handle is sturdy and it will allow you to carry the unit. However, the handle doesn’t come with grooves for increased portability, so it won’t be very comfortable to grab when the cooler is loaded.
3. YETI Strengths
- Great Cooling Capacity – YETI coolers offer great cooling capacities. Even though you might encounter some competitor models that can outperform YETI’s coolers once in a while, this happens rarely and with a limited number of models.
- Good Latches – Some people comment that YETI’s latches could be improved. While there is always room for improvement, these latches are very secure as they are. Moreover, each YETI rotomolded cooler can be further secured using a padlock.
- Comfortable Carry – Whether you’re using a soft-sided or a hard-sided YETI cooler, one thing is certain. You can transport it comfortably. These coolers come with padded shoulder straps, comfortable handles, and they can also be tied down after storage. However, the nylon rope handles of the rotomolded coolers could be upgraded
4. YETI Weaknesses
- Expensive – Even though they’re some of the most effective coolers on the market, the models developed by YETI come at steep prices
- No Pockets – YETI’s soft-sided coolers don’t use dry storage pockets. This is a weakness as it doesn’t give you the possibility to store your accessories and gadgets in the same cooler bag.
We hoped that our Engel VS YETI cooler matches were informative and enjoyable. As you could see from our short reviews, both Engel and YETI develop top-notch products that are superior to the ones you would find in a local supermarket.
However, there are many obvious differences between the two companies. One of the most notable ones is the price difference. Even though they offer similar performances, Engel coolers manage to cost less than those produced by YETI. Now, before you decide on a model you should think about the features you wish to find in the cooler for your needs. Do you really need a cooler that’s capable of keeping your drinks cold for 10 days, or would 6 suffice? Are you going camping in a bear-populated area? The answer to these questions and more can indicate the right cooler.