- 1 Cheaper Alternatives to Yeti Coolers
- 2 Strengths Of YETI
- 3 Cheaper Alternatives To YETI
- 4 Yeti Like Coolers Comparison Chart
- 5 Wrap Up
YETI is one of the most popular cooler brands in the world, but it’s also one of the most expensive. Many customers shy away from purchasing a YETI cooler because of their exorbitant prices.
Even though they might not be as popular, the YETI like coolers offer similar performances to the originals, and they can even incorporate some extra helpful features.
And while the YETI coolers might outperform every similar model, their cheaper alternatives still manage to offer remarkable performances of their own.
In the following article, we review 3 of YETI’s most popular models and their cheaper alternatives and examine the differences between them. Further, in the article, we take a look at the strengths of YETI and if they can be matched by those offered by their competitors.
Cheaper Alternatives to Yeti Coolers
RTIC 20 Soft Pack
|View On Amazon|
|View On Amazon|
TOURIT 20-Can Soft Cooler
|View On Amazon|
Pelican Elite 20
|View On Amazon|
Engel Cooler Bag 23-Quart
|View On Amazon|
1. RTIC 20 Soft Pack
The RTIC 20 soft pack is a cheaper alternative to the YETI Hopper, and it even has a highly similar design. This cooler can hold up to 20 cans of drinks, alongside with all the ice they need to stay cold for several days.
Just like the Hopper, the RTIC 20 is not exactly a soft-sided cooler, but it’s definitely a hard-sided one either. The cooler’s walls are lined with thick insulation material, and thanks to that material, the cooler can keep your drinks cold for up to 2 or 3 days at a time. However, the cooler will be this effective if you follow the manufacturer’s instructions and pack enough ice.
The RTIC comes with a shoulder strap and reinforced handles as well, but unfortunately, the shoulder strap quality doesn’t compare to that of the Hopper. RTIC’s strap comes with a cheap plastic carabiner that might break when you fill the cooler with drinks and ice.
Compared To YETI: The RTIC 20 offers a similar storage capacity and effectiveness to the YETI Hopper, but the quality of the materials used for the cooler’s construction is not up to par.
2. Engel HD30
The Engel HD30 is the perfect cooling solution for those who are looking for a soft-sided cooler. Despite its compact design, this model is actually very spacious, and it’s large enough to accommodate up to 24 drink cans along with 10 pounds of ice to keep them cool.
We were really impressed by the cooler’s effectiveness. Thanks to the cooler’s well-thought design and features, this model is capable of keeping your drinks cool for more than 4 days when you pack and store it correctly. One feature that helps tremendously in this regard is the vacuum valve. Activating this valve will remove all the air in the insulated compartment, increasing the cooler’s performance.
This cooler is also very user-friendly and portable. The cooler’s zipper is waterproof and it will keep the ice from melting while preventing the accumulated water to leak. The cooler’s top handles are sturdy, and the shoulder strap is adjustable and padded, making it very comfortable to use.
The only downside of using this cooler is that it has a somewhat narrow opening. This will make loading and unloading the cooler more difficult because you will probably need to keep a hand on the cooler’s side to stop it from closing.
Compared To YETI: The Engel HD30 is a good replacement for the YETI Hopper TWO. While the Hopper TWO has the better design especially due to its generous opening, the Engel HD is the more effective cooler. We were surprised to find that the HD30 will keep your drinks cold for a longer time than the Hopper TWO, so it’s actually the better cooler of the two.
3. TOURIT 20-Can Soft Cooler
The TOURIT 20-can cooler is a cheaper alternative to the YETI Hopper Flip 18. This model has a similar build and design, and it can deliver similar performances while costing a fraction of the YETI’s price.
One of the things we liked about this model is that it comes with thick insulation. Both the walls of the cooler and its lid come with a lot of padding that will keep the warm air from entering the cooling compartment. Moreover, this model comes with a high-quality zipper that has a protective lining. The protective lining will keep the water inside the cooler from spilling out, but it will also prevent the warm air from leaking in.
Despite its compact design, this model is actually very spacious. You can fit up to 20 drink cans inside the cooler if you pack it properly, along with plenty of ice to keep them cool. As far as the unit’s cooling capacity goes, this model will keep your drinks cold for up to 3 days, probably slightly longer if you pack enough ice and keep it out of the sun.
Another good thing about this model is that it comes with 2 dry storage pockets. Neither of these pockets is very large, but they’re spacious enough to accommodate eating utensils and small accessories or gadgets.
Compared To YETI: Both the TOURIT and the YETI coolers offer similar storage capacities and performances. Their interior linings are top-notch, they are durable, and they have low maintenance. However, the TOURIT cooler comes at a much better price.
4. Pelican Elite 20
The Pelican Elite 20 is a cooler similar to the YETI Roadie in both design and effectiveness. This model can hold up to 15 cans of drinks and enough ice to keep them cold for several days. And just like the Roadie, the Elite also has a durable rotomolded construction.
As far as the cooler’s effectiveness is concerned, the Pelican Elite can go head to head with the Roadie. This cooler can also keep your drinks cold for up to 3 days, so there are no significant differences between the two.
We liked the Elite’s handle better than the Roadies. The YETI cooler comes with a metal handle whereas the Pelican uses a molded one. The molded handle offers a better grip, and it will make the cooler’s weight easier to carry.
This cooler uses 2 latches that have a simple design. You simply have to push a button and you can open the latches. We don’t know if this system is bear-proof, but it definitely secures the lid when it closes.
Compared To YETI: The Pelican 20 offers mostly the same advantages as the YETI Roadie, even though it costs less. Moreover, this model comes with a lifetime warranty, whereas the Roadie comes with a 5-year one.
5. Engel Cooler Bag 23-Quart
The Engel cooler bag is a sturdy model that comes as an alternative to the YETI Hopper 30. Thanks to its generous storage capacity, the Engel cooler bag can accommodate up to 24 cans of drinks, just like the Hopper 30, albeit with a little less ice.
One of the things we liked about this model is that it comes with many pockets. Not only will this feature allows you to arrange your provisions, but it also increases the bag’s versatility. The fact that the cooler offers not one, but two big insulated pockets is a tremendous advantage. If you want to pack ice to keep your provisions cold, but you don’t want some of the provisions to get wet, you can simply store the ice in one insulated pocket and the provisions in the other. The ice will still keep your food cold, but it won’t get it wet.
Besides the insulated compartments, this cooler comes with side pockets large enough to fit water bottles and a front pocket that can hold some accessories and eating utensils.
As far as this unit’s cooling period is concerned, the cooler can keep your drinks cold for more than 3 days if you pack enough ice and keep it out of the sun.
Compared To Yeti: The Engel cooler bag has a good design and it can keep your drinks cold for up to 3 days. The YETI Hopper can keep your drinks cold for up to 4 days, so it’s more effective. However, the Engel is the more portable model thanks to its backpack straps, so it’s more user-friendly besides being cheaper.
Homitt Soft Pack Cooler
|View On Amazon|
|View On Amazon|
Simple Modern Weekender Cooler Bag
|View On Amazon|
Pelican Elite 70 Quart
|View On Amazon|
6. Homitt Soft Pack Cooler
The Homitt soft pack cooler is a cheap alternative to the YETI Hopper Flip, and it actually offers a larger storage capacity than any Hopper Flip model in production.
What impressed us the most about this model was its effectiveness. The Homitt cooler is advertised as being able to keep your drinks cold for up to 5 days, and we were surprised to find out that it actually could do that in the right conditions. Of course, you would have to pack plenty of ice and store it out of the sun. However, the cooler’s storage capacity is somewhat limited and storing a large quantity of ice means you’ll have less room for drinks and food.
As far as the cooler’s storage capacity goes, this model is advertised as being able to hold 30 drink cans and that might be true if you’re willing to pack drinks without packing any ice. If you pack enough ice to keep the drinks cold for one or two days, you will probably fit up to 22 – 24 cans in the Homitt, which is still better than the 18 cans offered by the Flip.
The cooler’s side handles are comfortable but as this model gets somewhat heavy when it’s loaded, you will probably use the shoulder strap more often. Luckily, the shoulder strap seems sturdy and comfortable as well.
Compared To YETI: The Homitt cooler offers similar performance to the YETI Hopper Flip, and it costs only a fraction of the latter’s price. In terms of design, the two models are also somewhat similar, but the exterior shell of the Hopper Flip seems more durable.
7. Engel ENG50
The Engel ENG50 is a good alternative to the YETI Tundra. Just like the Tundra, the ENG50 has a durable rotomolded construction that will withstand everything you put it through. The size of the cooler will allow you to use it comfortably as a chair or a small table.
As far as the cooler’s effectiveness is concerned, this model won’t match the Tundra’s cooling period but it will perform well, nonetheless. This cooler will also keep your food fresh for about a week or more if you pack it correctly. However, unlike the Tundra that comes with a dry-storage basket, this model doesn’t come with any accessories that will allow you to arrange your provisions.
Even though the ENG50’s insulation is thinner than the Tundra’s by about an inch, this model manages to be heavier than the YETI nonetheless. Weighing slightly more than 24 lbs, this model will get really heavy once you fill it up with provisions.
Compared To YETI: The Engel ENG50 is a high-quality model that offers a similar storage capacity to the YETI Tundra. Even though the ENG50 doesn’t manage to match Tundra’s effectiveness, it will still keep your food fresh for about a week.
8. Simple Modern Weekender Cooler Bag
The Simple Modern 20 Liter cooler is a cheaper alternative to the YETI Hopper Flip. One of the things that impressed us about this model was its well-thought design. Despite its cheaper price, this cooler bag offers everything the Hopper Flip does and more. Thanks to its sturdy side handles and the adjustable shoulder strap, the cooler is highly portable and you can carry it for a long time. We liked that the cooler’s side handles were long because that allows you to carry the cooler over one shoulder as you would a purse, making it more manageable in a crowded space.
We appreciated the cooler’s effectiveness as well. This model comes with thick insulation, and it will keep your drinks cold for up to 3 days, making the cooler suitable for weekend trips and getaways.
The cooler’s exterior shell is really sturdy and it actually seems more durable than the one used by the Hopper Flip. And just like the YETI, this model will retain its shape, so you can store it upright.
As far as the cooler’s storage capacity is concerned, this model will hold up to 20 cans of drinks comfortably, along with up to 10 lbs of ice to keep them cool.
Compared To YETI: The Simple Modern 20 Liter cooler has a design similar to that of the YETI Hopper Flip, but it offers a better storage capacity. This cooler can hold up to 20 cans, whereas the largest Flip can only accommodate 16 cans along with 10 lbs of ice. As far as their cooling capacity is concerned, both models offer good, if somewhat similar, performances.
9. Pelican Elite 70 Quart
The Pelican Elite 70 quart cooler is a cheaper alternative to the YETI Tundra 75. Even though it might seem like the Pelican is the smaller of the two coolers, the titles are somewhat misleading. The Tundra 75 has an outer capacity of 75 lbs, but its maximum internal capacity is 66 lbs, making the Pelican with a true 70-quart internal capacity the larger of the two.
We were impressed by the Pelican’s strong built. This model is built to last, and it will withstand anything you throw at it without any complaint. Thanks to its sturdy construction, this cooler can easily double as a small bench or as a chair when you’re in need of one. However, one of the downsides of this strong build is that the cooler is heavy. This model weighs 38 lbs by itself, and it can get really heavy once you load it with ice, drinks, and food.
As far as its cooling capacity is concerned, the Pelican can hold its own when compared to the YETI. This model will keep your drinks cold for up to 10 days if you pack enough ice.
Compared To YETI: The Pelican Elite 70 is a good cooler that comes at a decent price, considering its large size. This model is just as effective as a YETI Tundra, and it will keep your provisions fresh for up to 10 days. However, the Pelican is heavier than the YETI, and carrying it can be problematic once you fill it up.
Strengths Of YETI
YETI is one of the most popular cooler brands, even though it’s also one of the most expensive brands at the same time. YETI is world-renowned for their effective products, but there are also some cheaper models that offer specs and features similar to YETI’s. So what makes their products so popular? Let’s take a quick look at some of the strengths this brand has to offer.
- Effective – YETI produces some of the most effective cooler models available on the market. All of their products manage to keep a low temperature in their insulation compartments for a very long time, and they usually outperform other coolers by a long margin. Thanks to their long-lasting cooling capacities, these coolers are suitable for fishing because they will keep your fish fresh until you get home
- High-Quality Materials – Every YETI cooler is constructed using only top-notch materials. Whether it’s a thick insulation layer or a padded shoulder strap, whenever you use a YETI cooler, you can be assured that every feature was developed for a better experience.
- Sturdy – Whether they have a rotomolded construction or they’re made out of lighter materials, YETI coolers are very sturdy. Thanks to their sturdiness, these coolers are more versatile than other models, which makes them suitable for many situations including fishing. Since these coolers are strong and sturdy, you can use them as seats on your boat or when you go camping.
- Durable – Thanks to their clever design and the high-quality materials used for their construction, YETI coolers are built to last. You can use these coolers for years on end without any problems.
- Low Maintenance – All YETI coolers have low maintenance. This is one of the advantages of using one. These coolers either use a waterproof lining or have waterproof inner walls, so you can clean them using water and a mild detergent. Thanks to their low maintenance, YETI coolers are suitable for storing fish.
- Thick Insulation – Unlike electric coolers, the models produced by YETI do not rely on an external power source to keep your food fresh. So in order to keep your food fresh and your drinks cold, these coolers have to maintain a low temperature in their insulated compartments so the ice you pack won’t melt. Luckily, YETI coolers use at least 2” of insulation on their walls, so they will preserve the ice for as long as 10 days or more.
- High-Quality Latches And Zippers– Even though a cooler’s latches might not seem like a big deal at a first glance, they actually have a very important role. Without high-quality latches, the cooler’s lid will not close tightly to the body, so warm air will enter into the insulated compartment, melting the ice at a faster rate. YETI rotomolded coolers use high-quality T-shaped latches that will prevent the lid from opening accidentally. YETI’s soft-sided coolers use waterproof zippers to keep the cold air from escaping out of the insulated compartment.
- Reliable Storage Capacity – One of the advantages of using a YETI cooler is that you always know how many cans can fit into it, besides the recommended amount of ice. Unlike other metal coolers, YETI models always advertise how much stuff they can hold with and without the ice.
Cheaper Alternatives To YETI
As you could see in your short reviews, some of the cheaper alternatives to YETI can offer similar performances. Let’s take a look at some of the advantages of choosing one of these models.
- Cost-Effective – Even though YETI is a very popular brand, it’s also one of the most expensive ones on the market. This is one of the main reason people avoid buying their products and turn to other manufacturers. As you could see from our short reviews, even though they’re cheaper, the models developed by YETI’s competition are not so different from the original models, so they’re more cost-effective.
- Good Performances – While it’s true that YETI coolers often outperform the models developed by their competitors, that doesn’t mean that these models do not perform well. In fact, some of them are awesome in their own rights. Sure, you might not get a 10-day cooling period when you use one of these models, but you might get 7 or 8 days, which is pretty astonishing as well.
- Good Materials – Even though the materials used for the construction of YETI-like coolers are sometimes not as good as those used for the originals, this doesn’t mean they’re poor. To compensate for the difference in the material quality, these models usually use larger quantities of a lesser material. This is why YETI coolers are often lighter than those developed by their competitors.
- Good Features – Each model that’s a cheaper alternative to a YETI cooler offers something unique. For example, the Pelican Elite 20 comes with a longer warranty than its YETI competitor, and it uses latches that are more user-friendly. Even though they might be slightly less effective than YETI models, these cheaper alternatives might also offer some very helpful features.
We have created separate posts to compare YETI with other brands.
Yeti Like Coolers Comparison Chart
|RTIC 20 Soft Pack||$||up to 5 days||up to 20 cans||15 x 14.2 x 11"||5.05 pounds|
|Engel HD30||$$$||4 1/2 days||32 Qts||20 x 16 x 10"||5.25 pounds|
|TOURIT 20-Can Soft Cooler||$$||up to 3 days||up to 20 cans||16.5 x 14.7 x 11.3"||5.7 pounds|
|Pelican Elite 20||$$$||up to 3 days||15 Cans||18.8 x 12.6 x 17.7"||15 pounds|
|Engel Cooler Bag 23-Quart||$$$||up to 3 days||up to 24 cans||19 x 8 x 17.5"||3 pounds|
|Homitt Soft Pack Cooler||$$$||up to 5 days||22 - 24 Cans||18.9 x 14.2 x 11"||5.35 pounds|
|Engel ENG50||$$$$||up to 10 days||60 Cans||24 x 17.5 x 18.5"||24.5 pounds|
|Simple Modern Weekender Cooler Bag||$$$||up to 3 days||up to 20 Cans||18.4 x 16 x 9"||5.55 pounds|
|Pelican Elite 70 Quart||$$$$$||up to 10 days||70 Quart||36 x 20.3 x 21"||38 pounds|
YETI is one of the most famous cooler manufacturers in the world and their products are renowned for their effectiveness and durability, but that doesn’t mean they’re the only models capable of delivering spectacular performances.
The models we included this list are the YETI alternatives currently available on the market, and most of them are noticeably cheaper. Even though some of these units might not perform as well as the YETI models, they will keep your food fresh and your drinks cold for a long time nonetheless.
If you believe that YETI models are too expensive for your tastes, a cheaper alternative might be the most suitable cooler for your needs. These coolers are also very efficient, and most of them come at considerably better prices.